Tagboard


summer wars ♡
Tuesday, April 13, 2010 / 8:21 AM





Last night I watched Mamoru Hosoda's Summer Wars. I was absolutely blown away! I expected the art to be amazing, since Hosoda has directed or been the key animator of a lot of films that I adore (Digimon and Sailormoon SuperS, anyone?) and it didn't disappoint. What I wasn't expecting was the beautiful story! I had heard the plot was nearly identical to the second Digimon Adventure movie, Bokura no War Game, but though they obviously had some similar characteristics, the themes of the movies were completely different.

However, as a huge fan of Digimon, I really enjoyed seeing the parallels between the two works. The artwork in the online worlds was pretty much identical (well, as identical as you can get considering Bokura no War Game is from the 90s) and the climactic scenes were pretty similar! Both movies had me crying, haha~



Aside from the parallels with Digimon, there was so much that I loved about this movie. The character designs of the avatars were so unique and adorable! It made me wish that the OZ system was real~ And the theme of family is always one of my favourites, rather than a love story or something (though there was a bit of romance here!). The characters were really interesting too, I absolutely loved Kazuma. And the Grandmother was so badass!!

This movie definitely cemented Hosoda as one of my favourite anime directors. His work for Digimon, especially Bokura no War Game and Adventure episode 21 (where Taichi returns home for a day) are undoubtedly my two favourite parts of the series. I haven't watched The Girl Who Lept Through Time yet but I'm really looking forward to it now!

I really recommend watching Summer Wars if you haven't seen it! It hasn't been released in North America yet, but considering it did so well in Japan, I'm hoping it will be. I'll definitely buy the DVD if it is! Even if you're not an anime fan, I think this is the kind of movie that anyone can enjoy - gorgeous animation and an amazing story, what's not to like?


Other than watching anime, I've been studying for my exams. I have my Italian Renaissance exam tomorrow, but I'm not that worried about it! I'm going to Italy in two weeks, so I've been really interested in the course since I'll be seeing all the art in person soon! So I absorbed all of the information really well. I love second year so much more than first year because I'm so much more interested in the courses I'm taking. First year was fun and all, but the classes were so general.

I'm looking forward to dinner tonight... I made Indian butter chicken yesterday and it was so delicious, I can't wait to have it again~




♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡